Careers Plans

Career Action Plans

The Career Action Plan is a dynamic planning document owned and managed by young people intended to reflect their increased career development learning. The Career Action Plan helps young people to develop their awareness and understanding of education, training and employment options, and to develop the skills, knowledge and capabilities to effectively manage their careers and transitions throughout their lives.

The development of a Career Action Plan is designed to assist young people to set their goals, to clarify the actions needed to achieve these goals, and to commit to participating in the planned activities. The Career Action Plans incorporate the three stages of career development: self development, career exploration and career management.

Young people should assume ownership of their Career Action Plan. Parents and a variety of staff members, such as careers practitioners, teachers and trainers, can work with young people to assist them in completing the Career Action Plan. The young person must be actively involved in the process. Parents, family members, community members, carers, guardians or other trusted adults are encouraged to comment on their young person’s Career Action Plan, along with teachers, careers practitioners or other school staff.
Using the Career Action Plan

The Career Action Plan is most effective when used in conjunction with the learning outcomes and related activities identified within the Victorian Careers Curriculum Framework. To access learning outcomes for each year level, please see: Learning and Teaching Resources

Young people should complete a Career Action Plan every year from Years 7 to 12 when enrolled in a school or while enrolled with a VET provider or in the Learn Local adult community education sector. The Career Action Plan should be continually revised to reflect the career development activities undertaken throughout the year. Maintaining a Career Action Plan is an ongoing process, not a one-off activity.

Career Action Plan templates have been provided in Microsoft Word to allow education and training providers to contextualise the template to meet the needs of their cohort of young people. For example, education and training providers may choose to change images and words depending on individual needs.

The year level associated with a Career Action Plan may be used as a guide for young people with disabilities in special school settings. For example, the Year 7 Career Action Plan aligns with young people aged approximately 13 years.
Components of the Career Action Plan

The Career Action Plan contains a range of components that develop progressively across Years 7 to 10. The components reflect the three stages of career development. The components include:

My Profile: Self-development information to assist young people to understand themselves and the influences on them through identification of interests, values and skills.
My Progress: Self-development information to assist young people to reflect on their experiences and achievements over the past year.
My Goals and Plans: Self-development information to assist young people to develop their capabilities, and career exploration information to encourage location, investigation and consideration of opportunities in learning and future work options.
My Review: Career management information to assist young people to adjust their Career Action Plans and manage their life choices, changes and transitions.

The Career Action Plans for young people in Years 11 and 12, and for young people studying with VET providers or in the Learn Local adult community education sector, concentrate on career management information through additional components that specifically address career choices and the attributes and skills required to achieve them. The additional components include:

My Future: Career exploration information to assist young people to consider attributes, skills, education/training requirements, courses and labour market information relating to their career choices.
My Plan: Career management information to assist young people to reflect on past goals before setting new goals that align with their career choices.

Another component of the Career Action Plan involves the six steps in a young person’s acquisition of skills and knowledge for lifelong career self-management. Although young people complete all six steps each year, the Career Action Plans focus on a different step each year. The six steps are:

I Discover: young people discover their strengths and talents;
I Explore: young people explore the world of work and their place in it;
I Focus: young people focus on their values and interests;
I Plan: young people use decision-making skills to plan their learning and career programs;
I Decide: young people decide on their best options and opportunities; and
I Apply: young people apply their skills and knowledge to their learning and career planning.

Click on the plan for your year group.

Year 7 Career Action Plan

Career Action Plan 7 Koorie

Career Action Plan Year 7 EAL

Career Action Plan Year 7 Intergration

Career Action Plan Year 8

Career Action Plan Year 8 Koorie

Career Action Plan Year 8 Intergration

Career Action Plan Year 9

Career Action Plan Year 9 Koorie

Career Action Plan Year 9 EAL

Career Action Plan Year 9 Intergration

Career Action Plan Year 10

Career Action Plan Year 10 Koorie

Career Action Plan Year 10 EAL

Career Action Plan Year 10 Intergration

Career Action Plan Year 11

Career action Plan Year 11 Koorie

Career Action Plan Year 11 EAL

Career Action Plan Year 11 Intergration

Career Action Plan Year 12

Career Ation Plan Year 12 Koorie

Career Action Plan Year 12 EAL

Career Action Plan Year 12 Integration

images-10